MAROOCHYDORE BARIATRIC CLINIC: DR BENEDICT MACKAY
Weight Loss Solutions Sunshine Coast surgeon Dr Benedict Mackay consults in Maroochydore and operates at Sunshine Coast University Private Hospital.
Dr Benedict Mackay’s consulting rooms are located at the Maroochydore Specialist Centre (Plaza Business Centre). He operates on the Sunshine Coast at Sunshine Coast University Private Hospital and Noosa Private Hospital. Dr Mackay is a highly-trained Upper GI, general and bariatric surgeon who can offer you a full range of surgery options based on your individual needs.
- gastric bypass (both Single Loop and Roux-en-Y)
- gastric sleeve
- revisional surgery
- intra-gastric balloon
To finally overcome obesity, you need the right support. His plan for your post-surgery weight loss takes a whole-person approach, considering your lifestyle, mental health and diet. He utilises the expertise of a dietitian, psychologist and exercise physiologist to enhance the dedicated surgical follow-up he offers. This support can be utilised either in-person or via telehealth.
This approach is part of the shared philosophies which define the Weight Loss Solutions Sunshine Coast surgical team.
Curious about your options for weight loss surgery? Whatever stage you are at, Dr Mackay is happy to provide the information you seek to make an informed decision that is right for you. Call below to make an appointment.
Where are you?
Plaza Business Centre,
Suite 24, 27 Evans St,
Maroochydore, QLD 4558
How do I book?
Ph 07 5353 7123
Fax a Referral
Drop us a Line
Dr Benedict Mackay’s team: Maroochydore bariatric clinic
Dr Benedict Mackay
General, Upper Gastrointestinal, Laparoscopic Bariatric Surgeon
BSc, MBBS, FRACS
Dr Benedict Mackay is a specialist in Laparoscopic Bariatric (weight loss), Upper Gastrointestinal and General surgery.
Dr Mackay obtained his BSc in Microbiology at the University of Birmingham (UK) prior to obtaining his MBChB at the University of Manchester (UK). His General Surgical training began in the UK and continued in New Zealand and Australia.
He is a Member of the Royal College of Surgeons of England, a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and a Member of the Gastroenterological Society of Australia. After obtaining his FRACS he commenced a further 2 years of specialist training. He spent 1 year in Brisbane, during this year he was selected by the ANZGOSA post-fellowship training scheme. He completed a 2nd post-fellowship year in St Vincent’s Hospital, Melbourne.
His training in Obesity surgery included laparoscopic gastric bypass surgery (both Roux en Y and single loop), laparoscopic gastric sleeve surgery, complex revisional surgery and Robotic surgery. His training in Upper Gastrointestinal Surgery included both benign surgery and gastro-oesophageal cancer resectional surgery.
In 2019 Dr Mackay relocated to the Sunshine Coast to join two former colleagues at Weightloss Solutions Sunshine Coast, and Sunshine Coast University Private Hospital.
Benedict combines excellent surgical technique and medical skills with a compassionate patient centred approach. This helps deliver the highest quality surgical results.
Health professionals we work alongside
Dr Melanie Farr
Weight Loss General Practitioner
BMedSc, FRNZCGP, FRACGP
About Dr Farr
She offers a private practice specifically for patients who require ongoing medical support for the treatment of obesity. This includes both Bariatric General Practitioner services for pre-operative assessments and post-operative care. As well as Medical Weight Loss services.
Dr Farr is available for consultations by appointment at the Maroochydore clinic. with telehealth consults also available.
Dietitian, Nutritionist and Diabetes Educator
BNutrDiet, Grad Dip Diabetes Edu.
Her specialist areas include:
- weight loss (bariatric) surgery
- gastrointestinal disorders and surgery
- heart disease
- kidney disease and malnutrition.
MPSYCH (CLIN), DipEd
Nicole can conduct pre-operative psychological assessments in a comfortable setting, in order to:
- Identify any concerns and/or risk-factors in relation to the surgery itself as well as adjusting to life after;
- Making sure you fully understand surgery, risks and management strategies and that you have the ability to access relevant information;
- Discuss social supports and post-operative weight management plans, identifying any extra support that you may need;
- Provide a safe and confidential space where you can openly discuss concerns;
- Identify any current or previous mental issues for which you may wish for some additional support or psychological treatment; o
- Discuss strategies for any identified concerns so that you can be as successful as possible, following surgery.
- Psychological services for bariatric surgery
- Post-traumatic stress and trauma
- Depression, anxiety and phobias
- Complicated grief
- Sleep difficulties
- Emotional difficulties associated with physical pain or injury
Nicole utilises the following evidence-based therapies:
(If you would like further help following your pre-operative assessment, depending upon your needs and preferences)
- Cognitive behaviour therapy and problem-solving with practical strategies;
- Mindfulness-based therapies to promote relaxation and greater wellbeing;
- Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR therapy) for helping with any history of trauma including PTSD, but also previous experiences of bullying and other childhood or adult neglect and abuse which continue to be triggered and causing disturbance in the present;
- Biofeedback to help manage your own level of physiological arousal on an ongoing basis.
- Master of Clinical Psychology
- Level 1 Practitioner training in Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy with the Australian Institute of Applied Mindfulness (AIAM)
- Consultant (EMDR Association of Australia) and Facilitator (EMDR Institute) for EMDR therapy training in Australia.
- Diploma of Education
- Hypnosis 100-hour training with Michael Yapko
- Australian Psychological Society (APS)
- Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA)
- Member of Psychology of Eating, Weight & Body Image Interest Group, APS.
- EMDR Association of Australia • EMDR Institute (International)
- International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation